This is a great family event. We have student sized snowshoes that Sorrento families can sign out and borrow if you’d like to go, but don’t have the equipment for your child(ren). Please contact Ms. Garries in the office if you’re interested.
We are excited for the annual Unplug and Play events coming once again to our school and our school district – Jan 26 – Feb 2, 2019. These events are intended to encourage less screen time, and more time playing inside and outside, reading, interacting personally with others. Would you like to know hear some recommendations:
- Avoid screens for at least one hour before bedtime.
- For children younger than 2 years old, screen time is not recommended.
- Children aged 2 to 5 should limit their screen time to one hour per day.
- Maintain daily ‘screen free’ times, like family meals and book sharing.
- Be mindful that sedentary screen time should be kept to a minimum.
- Be aware of content and ensure screen use is supervised and age-appropriate. Our school is sending home the Unplug and Play Passports in the days ahead, and students will be encouraged to play along and participate as often as they can. On or before Feb. 8, students can return their completed passports to be entered in a draw to win prizes like books and games.
A Ready, Set, Learn event will take place in every elementary school in the North Okanagan-Shuswap between January and March 2019.
- Ready, Set, Learn is a free early learning event for families with children who are 3 to 5 years old.
- All families will receive free books and a kit of materials and resources to help support their child’s early learning experiences.
- All families are encouraged to pre-register for the event at their local school or contact Jennifer Findlay at 250-833-2095 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Sorrento’s school phone number is 250-675-2311.
- The Ready Set Learn event at Sorrento Elementary School will take place on Tuesday Feb. 19 at 9:30 – 10:30 in the multipurpose room (breakfast room).
The last day of school before the winter break is Friday Dec. 21. We are back in session on Monday Jan. 7, 2019. Our staff wishes you and yours a wonderful break, and see you in the New Year!
We are excited and ready to go for our student/parent/teacher goal setting conferences on Tuesday Nov. 20. We are dismissing early that day – 12:03, and buses will depart at 12:15 or 12:20. Parents are asked to book their appointment online using ParentConnect, and use the instruction sheet sent home on Nov. 6. If you have any trouble doing this, please contact the office. Remember, these conferences are in place of a first term report card, so it is extremely important parents attend with their child. See you then!
This Friday November 9, at 12:45 pm, we will be holding our annual Remembrance Day assembly. Families are welcome to attend this important gathering. This year marks the 100 year anniversary of the end of World War I, 1918. Lest we forget…