Happy 2021! Wishing all of our students, staff, and families a safe, healthy, and happy new year. School starts back again on Monday Jan. 4, 2021. The hours continue as 8:15 – 2:17 daily for all of our students, grades K – 5.
Just a reminder that we are having an early dismissal for students on Thursday Nov. 19 at 11:17. Buses will run 3 hours earlier as well, so please make arrangements for students to be met at their bus stop 3 hours earlier than usual.
Early dismissal is happening because we are once again holding student goal setting conferences as the first term formal report. This is a very important part of the new curriculum, and since students are the center of the plan, please ensure your child is participating in the conference with you and their teacher.
Due to the pandemic, most conferences are being held virually, or by telephone. If you have informed your child’s teacher that this method is not possible for you, please attend the conference in person by wearing a mask/face covering, hand sanitizing at your child’s classroom door, and sign in with your child’s teacher. We will not be using the front door to access the school for goal setting conferences.
Thank you for participating in this important component of your child’s education!
SD83 Kindergarten Registration 2021-22
We are looking forward to welcoming you and your child to North Okanagan School District No. 83! Due to COVID-19, there are some changes to the Kindergarten registration process this year:
1. Kindergarten registration will open at 9am on Tuesday, October 13th and remain open for the rest of the school year.
2. You may choose to register in-person at the school or online.
3. Registering in-person: Please phone the school and make an appointment to come in and complete the paperwork, as only one family at a time can be in the school office area.
4. Registering online: Please email the school to request the online registration link.
5. You will need to register at your child’s catchment school (based on your physical address) or specialty school (Bastion – Early French Immersion or South Canoe – Outdoor Learning). To access our catchment school locator tool or find out more information about our specialty schools, Click Here.
6. Any parents/caregivers requesting a cross-boundary consideration will need to follow these steps:
a. Register at their catchment school (in-person or online)
b. Complete a cross boundary request form
c. Have the form signed by the catchment school’s principal
d. Take the form to the principal of the requested school (for cross-boundary consideration in the spring)
7. All Kindergarten registrations completed on Tuesday, October 13th are treated as “equal”, so there is no need for line-ups on that day. Registrations received after October 13th, will be date/time stamped and treated on a first come, first served basis. This information will be used to determine placement IF catchment area schools or programs are full. Students with siblings already registered in a Program of Choice (French Immersion or Outdoor Learning) will be given priority if there is limited space.
If you have any questions about the Kindergarten registration process, please contact: Jennifer Findlay, District Principal, at email@example.com
We are looking forward to welcoming our North Okanagan-Shuswap StrongStart families back to our program starting on Tuesday, October 6th. StrongStart is a free early learning program for preschool children, 0 to 5 years old, and their parent or caregiver. There will be COVID-19 guidelines in place at all programs to ensure the safety of our families, StrongStart educators, and school community.
- Registration for all SD83 StrongStart programs will open on Thursday, September 17th, 2020 and will be ongoing
- If your child was previously registered in a StrongStart program in our district, please call the school to indicate that you and your child are interested in attending the StrongStart program again this school year
- If your child is new to StrongStart, please phone the school to request a time to come in and complete the registration process
- Interested families will need to choose one program to attend as we will not be supporting participation at multiple programs due to COVID-19
Our “Return to School/Safety/Start Up Plan” is available by clicking the link below. We are excited to have all of our students and staff return to a safe, healthy, and happy building! Remember, school for grade 1 – 5 students starts on Thursday Sept 10 from 8:15 – 2:17, and for kindergarten students, there was a special letter emailed to parents that describes their gradual entry. Looking forward to seeing everybody soon!